The Consortium for People’s Development – Disaster Response (CPD-DR) is a national, multi-stakeholder consortium of development and humanitarian organizations that seek to facilitate the development of comprehensive community-based, and relevant people-oriented DRR initiatives and programs by bringing together organizations, facilitating dialogues, documenting responses, and drawing lessons from DRR practices.
It provides a platform for sharing of expertise, resources and experiences. It builds linkages and cooperation from the local to the global level.
CPD-DR envisions a society where the people, especially the majority and most vulnerable groups, are empowered and capacitated to enable them to develop comprehensive grassroots- based, and relevant people-oriented DRR initiatives that would increase their resilience and address their vulnerabilities.
CPD-DR believes that: (1) people should be the prime movers of their own development; (2) DRR initiatives should build on the people’s capabilities, potentials, and strengths; (3) poverty is the main source of people’s vulnerabilities; and (4) DRR should lead toward long term development.
Five-Point Strategic Goals
- PEOPLE ARE ABLE TO ENGAGE GOVERNMENT IN THE FORMULATION AND IMPLEMENTATION OF DRR POLICIES AND PROGRAMS
- Development of people’s capacities in DRR;
- Promotion of people-oriented concepts and approaches in DRR; and
- Building an engaged and active citizenry.
- GOOD PRACTICES AND LESSONS LEARNED IN DRR ARE DOCUMENTED, ANALYZED, SYNTHESIZED AND PROPAGATED
- Facilitating consultations to draw lessons from DRR practices; and
- Optimizing different platforms for propagation of lessons and replication of good practices.
- LINKAGES BETWEEN PEOPLES AND ORGANIZATIONS, FROM THE LOCAL TO GLOBAL LEVEL, ARE DEVELOPED FOR SHARING OF RESOURCES, EXPERTISE, INFORMATION AND KNOWLEDGE GENERATION
- Building bridges between local organizations and international agencies and groups involved in DRR;
- Participating in conferences on DRR practices and responses; and
- Generating support from government and non-government entities.
- DRR INITIATIVES, RESPONSES, EFFORTS AND PROGRAMS ARE BETTER COORDINATED TOWARD GREATER IMPACT AND RESOURCE OPTIMIZATION
- Convene stakeholders engaged in DRR; and
- Facilitate cooperation, coordination and synergy of efforts of stakeholders.
- A COMPREHENSIVE, COMMUNITY-BASED, PEOPLE-ORIENTED FRAMEWORK IN DRR IS ADVANCED
- Engage the government and the international community to adopt a comprehensive, community-based and people-oriented DRR framework; and
- Actively encourage communities and organizations to adopt and practice comprehensive, community-based and people-oriented DRR programs.